ANC to address nomination feuds

0
136
ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) will establish teams that will go around the country. Picture: ANN7

ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) will establish teams that will go around the country addressing all concerns that arose as a result of the branch general meetings’ nomination process.

The announcement was made by the party’s Secretary General Gwede Mantashe following the NEC’s special meeting in preparation for the 54th National Conference which is seen as an opportunity for the ANC to renew itself.

The NEC has condemned reported incidents of violence at some of the BGMs.

“While the incidents may seem isolated, they nevertheless fly in the face of the discipline of the ANC. We further condemn the continued production and display of factional paraphernalia in ANC meetings and call on members to desist from such practices,” Mantashe said.

Despite such reports, the NEC has commended provinces that have already completed more than 75% of their BGMs as of yesterday.

“We urge the balance to redouble their efforts to ensure that their structures form part of the conference.

“Following the tumultuous Eastern Cape BGM, the NEC has resolved to institute an appeal panel which will consist of four NEC members that will get to the bottom of some of the concerns raised,” he said.

Former KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sbu Ndebele will lead the four-person team, some of the members include Onicca Moloi-Moropa, Sdumo Dlamini and Rejoice Mabhudafasi.

The team will also be supported by three more members, who are yet to be announced.

“We have asked them to prepare a report for the NEC in order to address the concerns raised,” Mantashe said.

Tomorrow is the last day for BGMs to have their nominations and that there won’t be any extensions.

Despite tomorrow being the last day, BGMs will be allowed to deliberate until the weekend, everyone is expected to have completed the process.

In the recent past, the South African Communist Party (SACP) announced that they will contest the byelections in the Metsimaholo Local Municipality.

21 wards are scheduled to hold elections on November 29.

Mantashe added that this is a very unfortunate development as the two parties are in the process of ironing out their differences.

“The NEC views this decision as regrettable, particularly in a marginal municipality such as Metsimaholo. In line with the decision of the Alliance Political Council held last month, the NEC has called for the follow-up meeting to be held without delay.”

He reiterated the ANC’s position that higher education is made free for the poor and the working class.

This comes after the release of the Fees Commission report into higher education which was instituted by President Jacob Zuma early this year.

“The Freedom Charter is very clear on this. There shall be free education for all. This includes the poor and the working class.”

Mantashe has strongly disagreed with presidential hopeful Dr Nkosasana Dlamini Zuma’s call for him to step down following the announcement by the Ramaphosa faction.

“I see nothing wrong with my nomination. Everyone is nominated all the time, why shouldn’t the SG?.

“However, I believe Dlamini-Zuma’s history in the ANC and her knowledge of the party.”

The ANC NEC has also strongly condemned media houses that report what they believe is ‘fake news’.

Some media organisations have reported that there was an attempt by others to remove  Mantashe following the announcement by Presidential candidate Cyril Ramaphosa as his preferred chairperson of the party.

Weekend media reports announced that some of the NEC members who are in support of Zuma wanted Mantashe to be removed from his post.

The allegations were denied by the party through their Spokesperson Khusela Sangoni.

-Edwin Matji

 

 

 

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY