What the show is about?
A consumer show that aims to undo injustice by big corporations against South African public. This show informs, educates and gives guidance to what you can do to extend the value of your rand. Consumer Guard also plans to expose businesses that are colluding in various industries, making it difficult for consumers to afford basic necessities. Join us to find out how we guard you, the consumer!
EPISODE 9 – “On Consumer Guard this week, we look at the most hijacked cars in South Africa, how this affects you the consumer and what you should do when involved in a hijacking incident…Tune in to Consumer Guard this Saturday at 14H30pm or the repeat on Sunday at 15H30pm, only on ANN7!
Hijack Awareness Tips
- When approaching your vehicle, keep your key ready but not visible. Unlock your car when you’re close by.
- Check the rear seat before getting into your car.
- A well-maintained car is less likely to break down and leave you vulnerable.
- Plan your route and let someone know what your route is and when to expect you at your destination.
- Avoid driving with your windows open and keep the doors locked. Put all valuables out of sight. Leave your window slightly open as it more flexible / difficult to break.
- Avoid distractions while driving such as using a cellphone.
- If you suspect you are being followed, drive to your nearest police station or a busy public area.
- When approaching a red traffic light, slow down so that you only reach it when it turns green.
- Make sure your driveway is well lit and clear of shrubbery.
- If possible, park in a central, well-lit place, preferably with guards on duty.
- When stopping behind another vehicle, leave half a vehicle length in front so you can make an emergency escape if necessary.
- Change your routes and your schedule if possible on a regular basis.
- Hijacking trends change constantly. Be alert and if anything looks suspicious rather be safe and drive around the block and contact the SAPS or your Security Service Provider requesting an escort to your premises.
- If your vehicle is damaged (tyre or windscreen) while driving don’t stop immediately. Drive to a well-lit area or away from where the incident occurred and inspect the damages.
- Lower your music and use your mirrors to confirm that you are not being followed about 1 kilometer from your destination.
- Put away your cellphone and eliminate any distractions.
- Make arriving at your destination safer by calling ahead and asking someone to open and close your gate for you.
- Before entering your premises if alone, park parallel to your home while opening the gate with the remote.
- In the event of a hijacking, keep your hands visible at all times as the suspects are as nervous as you. Be submissive and listen to the suspects’ instructions, human life is worth more than a vehicle. Do not resist.
- Place your child that is in a baby seat behind you to remove the child with ease. Indicate to the suspect that you have a child in the backseat and remove the child by shielding him / her as much as possible.
- Remain calm and try to identify any useful information about the hijackers without staring at them. Create time and space as quickly as possible between yourself and the treat.
Have you ever been scammed buying things online? Share your story with us