Mduduzi Manana pleads guilty to assault charges

0
427

Former deputy minister of Higher Education, Mduduzi Manana has pleaded guilty to assault charges at the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

Manana was charged for two counts of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm for hitting two women at a Cubana nightclub last month. Sentencing is expected to be handed down on 7 November 2017.

Meanwhile, police have confirmed that a second suspect has been arrested in connection with Mduduzi Manana assault case and is expected to face the same charges as Manana. 

The second suspect was arrested after being pointed out by one of the victims during Manana’s court appearance on Wednesday.

 

Following the incident, Manana said that he was provoked, however, he later apologized for his actions.

“You have every right to be angry at me, and I deserve your anger at this matter, because no matter how you look at it, it was wrong in every way, to this extent I am sorry,”  he said. 

Following pressure from civil organizations and political parties calling for him to step down, Manana resigned from his position as deputy minister, however, remained an ANC MP. 

“I have decided on my own to step down from the position of deputy minister of education.” 

He appeared in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court in August where he was granted a bail of R5000. The DA has reportedly announced that they will stage a picket outside the court during his appearance in support of the victim. 

Also read: Mbalula briefs media on Mduduzi Manana assault case

Manana may have to quit

Proper action should be taken against Manana

 

-TNA Reporter 

 

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY